Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day meme

I saw this on another blog and decided to do it. Heck, I'm still up at an unreasonable hour so my judgement could be cloudy. It's in honor of Labor Day and is about...well, labor. And not the kind you get a day off for, either. Check out Rocks in My Dryer for more.

How long were your labors?

Kid #1 and 2 (twins), 2 days. From about 8:00 a.m. one day to 6:30 p.m. the next
Kid #3, 8 or 9 hours

How did you know you were in labor?

Kid #1 and 2, I went in to be induced.
Kid #2, I had contractions during night although they weren't very strong.

Where did you deliver?

At a hospital.

Drugs?

Had 2 epidurals for my twins. The first one wore off. Tried to do #3 naturally but fought the contractions too hard. My husband finally suggested I try the drugs. Otherwise, I might still be there!

C-section?

None. Doctor number one was a trouper. He knew I didn't want a C-section so he kept watch over me closely but allowed me to go through with it. Twin B presented breech. He wanted to take no chances with him getting twisted so brought him down immediately after Twin A was born. No incidents.

Who delivered?

Doctors. I loved my first one, but was turned off by the newer practice of multiple doctors in the office for my little girl. It was really scary to me that my least favorite one might deliver my baby. When we first called in, she was the one on call. Thankfully, she was not by the time we got to the hospital. I may have been better off with her though; the one that delivered my daughter did not make a good enough episiotomy (sp?). I kept trying to tell her the baby would be big; she didn't believe me and I paid dearly for it!


4 comments:

Mandi @ Life Your Way said...

Ouch on the not big enough episiotomy!!! I had one episiotomy and one tear, and although the "snip" of the episiotomy might have been the worst SOUND I've ever heard, the pain from the tear the second time was HORRIFIC!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

What a fun meme for Labor day, lol. Thankfully I made it through both my births without too much in the way of episiotomies. I had a tiny one with my son who was 9 lbs 9 oz and it hurt like heck to heal! I'm taking the "not big enough" to mean you tore? OUCH!!!

Also, thanks for your thoughtful comment on my pity party over at my blog. I was going to respond to you in email but your email isn't attached to your comment, so here goes... Yanno, of all the stupid things that happened that day, the home school one is bothering me the most, even though I really truly did my best to be kind, and I think I succeeded. It's just so awkward to measure your words when you are feeling attacked for your choice (as I'm sure you know, based on your comment.) I try very hard to never say anything rude about another person's heart wrenching decision about how to see that her children are educated, whether at home or at school, but at least once a week someone makes it clear that they feel I'm selling my child short by sending them to public school. I feel I get a lot of pressure about it because my children are extremely bright, and because I was home schooled myself, sometimes I feel that certain home school parents view me as some sort of sell-out to their cause. And yet, I have even participated with some of their home school activities and from what I can see, there is very little (if anything) they are doing at home that I am not also doing at home in addition to public school--I can't see how my children are going to suffer for my choice--its tiresome that people cannot just let it go. It's not personal to me whether other people home school, I don't understand why its personal to them that I don't. I freaking hate the Mommy Wars. Bleh. Most of us, home school or public school, are working our butts off to be good parents and give our children the world, why does snarkiness have to be attached when people make different choices for their different children than we would? Anyhow thanks again for your kind words.

Blessings,

Jen

3 for school said...

Yes, not big enough means I tore. The dr. for the twins understood it was better to heal from a deeper cut than from a tear. After prego #2, I totally agree. It was painful for weeks + it got infected which was indescribably worse!

Kama said...

Ouch. Sounds pretty painful! I am due in less than 4 weeks, so I've enjoyed (mostly) reading the stories of everyone from RIMD. My friends are also giving me some advice on our blog thanks to "labor" day. Thanks for sharing!!