Thursday, August 30, 2007

A book, a book!

I feel lost without a book! As I was putting away some of the 109 extra books sitting on the coffee table, I realized that it is time to do a general clean out. Surely we have some books that we don't need to keep!

I realized I am not currently reading a good story type of book and I'm feeling bereft. (How's that for a $10 word?) I am currently reading two heavier reads. One is the KJV Old Testament (in Proverbs), and the other is Making of America.

Speaking of the OT, I ran across an article in the Church News that talked about a scripture in 1 Chronicles 12:33. This chapter basically reviews David's military. In this verse, it says: "Of Zebulun, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war, fifty thousand, which could keep rank: they were not of double heart."

I don't think I would have given this verse a second thought, but it's worth several. Am I one who can "keep rank" with the Lord's commands? Do I have a single-minded heart, devoted to following the Lord? Do I do what I'm supposed to and just what I'm required, or do I do the right things because my heart is with the Lord? I've had a complaining heart this morning, thinking what a thankless job Cub Committee Chairperson is and grousing about it to myself. This gave me pause to wonder what I would be thinking if I dedicated my service in Cub Scouts to the Lord and stopped getting ticked off at every little thing. It is easier to complain but not terribly productive and doesn't result in blessings to me or to anyone else!!! So onward to a new day and a happier attitude!

No comments: