Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Family dinners---added

I just read an interesting article about a BYU study that found that "employees who could get home for dinner felt they worked in a healthy environment." Because of other studies finding that children reap many benefits from regular family dinners, BYU focused on the effect of traditional family dinners on the parents.

The study found that the conflict between work and home increased in proportion to the number of hours worked, but the study found that "work-family conflict remained the same for women working up to 60 hours a week, so long as work did not interfere with dinner time."

(from the Deseret News, Church News section, Week ending July 19, 2008)

I think if I worked, that would interfere with family dinner time . . . unless, of course, I could hire a cook! After paying for private school for 3 in lieu of homeschooling, I seriously doubt that would happen.

All kidding aside, I have a full-time, more than 60 hour a week job in homeschooling. I can attest to the relief a traditional dinner offers me. It's a chance for me to sit and enjoy a conversation with my husband and children with a minimum amount of demands.

No comments: