Sunday, October 5, 2008

Have hope

Today was the first day of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints semi-annual conference broadcasted from Salt Lake City. It was a very reassuring, comforting conference, full of messages of the power of faith, hope, charity, and prayer. You can listen to it at www.lds.org under General Conference or here. I want to share a single thought right now, probably paraphrased (since I can't remember for sure whether I got it word for word) from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.



While talking about the relationship of hope to faith and charity, he said, "With hope, we can have patience."

Timely message for troubling times.

Timely message for daily challenges. I would never have thought about lack of hope being the cause of lack of patience, but as I have thought about that idea, it makes sense. Sometimes I lose patience with someone because I have a lack of hope that they will "get" it, other times I lose it because I lose faith in myself to explain something adequately, sometimes I despair and hope goes out the window, and other times . . . do I lose faith in my Savior being able to make up the difference? Or lose faith that I'm worth enough for Him to help me? But I know all of us, me included, are children of His, and He will help us. He will bring peace in our own homes if we will trust him.

I have found spending time in the scriptures with my family or just myself, brings His hope back to me. That's important right now. It's so easy to get caught up in the gloom of today's problems and lose perspective of the "easiness of His way." (paraphrased)

I love you all! I pray all of us hold onto hope. The world and our families need our hope.

No comments: