Monday, May 14, 2007

Mary, Martha, and Me

In this book, Mary, Martha, and Me: Seeking the One Thing that is Needful, Camille Fronk Olson explores the depth of the question of whose choice is better: Mary or Martha. She notes that Jesus does not say that Mary chose the better part, just that she chose a good part. Then he teaches her that "One thing is needful." He didn't devalue Martha's service but counseled her to put Himself first, and then all other things fall into place.

My sister-in-law recently blogged (under May Flowers) about her frustration at being at a preschool end-of-school-year party and having other moms basically put her down for working. I had to chuckle because I have felt what I believe to be the same emotion with people's response to my homeschooling. That was just a couple of days ago, and I picked up this book yesterday. It answers on many levels. Another thought Olson explored was that one person's choice or gift may not be another's, and yet we all contribute---so much that we will probably never realize in this life the impact for good we have had.

These are just two of the main ideas Olson discussed. There is so much more! Mary, Martha, and Me is definitely another 5 star read. I'll be reading it again. I need to be reminded of how much I depend on the Saviour and how much He loves us.

No comments: