Wednesday, April 18, 2007

It's been a few days. . . .

It occurred to me that I probably need to continue my paper method of keeping track of hours. Especially since getting on the computer to log the hours is sometimes lethal to my homeschooling day! :-) There are always things to do on the computer so it is better to keep it off sometimes! So maybe I'll just write about high points.

Today was a valuable reminder to one son that respect must come first. Then privileges happen. The "lesson" was painful and the consequence stunk, but he finally accepted it with a happy face and dealt with it. Hopefully next time he will not lose privilege. He's a champ, and he is learning! I am very grateful for that!

I have purchased a used copy of Writing Strands, and I hope it will be a good thing for us. Worksheets, i.e., Abeka, are not working for us very well. It's boring to work on just grammar. Hopefully it will seem more germane to the kids if they are writing fun things and getting grammar lessons along the way. I am not saying grammar is not important---I'm a stickler for those details---just that my main objective is to get the kids comfortable with communicating effectively with the written word. If you know how to make the plural of fox, that's great, but if you can't write about foxes, that's bad. Likewise, if you can use apostrophes appropriately but can't string three words together in a sentence, that's kucky. So. . . here we come with Writing Strands! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: