Sunday, March 9, 2008

Argentina and the Internat'l Fair

I apologize for not writing lately. We've been sick, and I've been working on my new blog. It's a more serious blog, and not about homeschooling although I am a homeschooler and that is reflected in the blog.

The exciting news for this week is that we pulled off a display for the International Fair our local homeschool group held. It was a really good event! Even my kids were glad we did it; they grumbled about having to do it. We had a display on Argentina, and served bocaditos and alfajores. The night before as I was making the alfajores, I went online for pictures and found that I could have ordered them online. Sigh. I would have done it too. I thought about doing empanadas but didn't think they would be much good cold. Alfajores with dulce de leche, however, are fine cold. I finally made dulce de leche, to my husband's delight. He served a 2-year church proselyting mission in Argentina when he was 19-21 and fell in love with the stuff as well as the people.

3 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Weve never done anything like an International Fair. That sounds like fun!

3 for school said...

It really was fun. Most of the people had been to whatever country they studied so they had some souvenirs from the country. Not all though. Ours was held in the community room at the library and there were probably around 12 families presenting. A few did some kind of presentation, including a puppet show, an oral report, and a skit. The rest of us just prepared displays and food. One even had activities for all the kids such as would have been done in their chosen country.

Ice Cream said...

I love doing geographical/cultural things like this. PArt of our local homeschool group banded together and we created a geography club. Every month we would pick a country, then each kid would pick a topic to study in that country (like art, food, games, language, etc). At the end of the month we would meet, the kids would present their projects/studies and then we would have a mini party with food and decor from that country. It was awesome!