Sunday, February 3, 2008

I'm making up my own---finally!

I'm starting a new language arts program tomorrow. My own. The ones I have used haven't satisfied me. That, and I don't do well with scripted materials. I tend to become impatient if they don't get it in the page it gives. I'm probably not presenting it right, but I really need to cut down on "known" frustrations. I keep thinking I ought to be able to create something on my own---English is my field and my love. I should have done this from the very beginning, but the idea of creating my own was frightening. I'm not intimidated any more though.

My program will include the usual copywork and sentence diagramming, but from favorite scriptures. I'll be searching for some simple sentences tonight! It has been awhile since we have done any diagramming so I think review is in order!

I also realized that we haven't been doing much read-aloud since Christmas, what I call Mom-read. I think we might pick up Julius Caesar. They just watched the BBC reenactment of it and didn't get a bunch of it. I don't know if my daughter will stay interested, but the boys are getting older so maybe short bits every day will work. Then they will get to rewrite lines to make them their "own" so to speak. Nothing like copying Shakespeare's works to learn to be a better writer!

I'm not through figuring this out! In fact, I've only begun really thinking it through, and figuring out what will make it fun but also maximize their learning the English language better. Most importantly, my children will hopefully learn to write well and find out it is fun! Therein lies the tweaking!!!

1 comment:

Ice Cream said...

Ooo, I hope you will share as you get it put together. I finally had to do the same thing with Science and am slooowly getting it to come together the way I want it to.