Monday, February 25, 2008

Qualifications for homeschooling? Help!

I've made reference to this before, but I want to pose a question to homeschoolers out there. In the last several months, I have had some non-homeschoolers ask me if I think a particular person should homeschool. The ones I really try to answer are those who are genuinely concerned.

I confess I hate it when I'm asked if I think somebody is equipped to "do it." That feels like they are asking me to pass judgment on someone else. I feel like saying, "That not my job! I'm not that wise!" I also get a little sick at the implication that the next unasked question (at least in these cases) is whether or not they should be a parent. I also wonder who made me the "expert" especially when I feel so un-expert.

So help me be a little more expert. Are there some practical "qualifications" for homeschooling? I don't believe a 4-year teaching degree is a qualification because I have one of those and truly feel that piece of paper was junk. I have no idea where my teaching certification went, nor have I ever cared. The main part of my degree took more effort so it represents far more to me. Between you and me, I think my outside-of-school experiences were far more important. I guess my major qualifier is how committed the parent is to the education of their children because that will take most of their time and attention from day one. I also think a supportive spouse is essential for many reasons, not the least of which is financial. I could not/would not homeschool if my husband needed/wanted me to work outside the home.

Enough of me---What have you found to be the most important and most used qualities you have or have developed or are working on to be a successful homeschooler? When someone asks your advice about homeschooling, what do you tell them? What do you tell third-party folks when they ask you about someone else's ability to homeschool, and let's assume they are really concerned. What do you say to those who have no confidence in homeschooling and homeschoolers?

And now I'll lay it to rest and let it stop bothering me!

4 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Oh my. You are asking us to write an entire blog post! LOl

I really do think there are people that shouldnt homeschool. If a mother is not organized, if she doesnt have patience with the kids, if she considers her kids an annoyance then that mother should not homeschool.

I do not think academic ability should play into whether a mother homeschools. Children ahve a way of learning the stuff regardless of moms credentials.

But if mom is grouchy and upset with them underfoot all the time or if mom is doing nothing toward teaching them then those kids need to be in school.

Anonymous said...

Hi This is Tink.Bey.

Ice Cream said...

What have you found to be the most important and most used qualities you have or have developed or are working on to be a successful homeschooler?
An intense passion for learning and a deep love for one's children.

When someone asks your advice about homeschooling, what do you tell them?
I tell them it is a very personal decision that has no perfect answer. You just have to do what you know is right.

What do you tell third-party folks when they ask you about someone else's ability to homeschool, and let's assume they are really concerned.
I say that I don't dare pass judgement on other mothers because I don't know everything that is going on in their family. I know that I hate being judged by others.

What do you say to those who have no confidence in homeschooling and homeschoolers?
I tell them that to each their own. I won't tell them what is wrong with their system if they don't tell me what's wrong with mine. To me it is like passing judgment on someone else's relgious choices.

These same judgments could just as easily be applied to people who have kids in public school. There just isn't one way to educate or to parent.

3 for school said...

I guess I am asking for a blog post, aren't I? I really appreciate the comments though, especially since these questions have really worried me. I appreciate the comments so far very much!