Monday, February 18, 2008

Culinary delights?

The UPS man brought me a small box today filled with the following items:

cod liver oil

I have recently learned about the joys of coconut oil, like how it eliminates sunburn if you put it on every day or so. No more sunscreen needed! Also, it is high in Omega 3s. The label says it is “Ideal as a high-heat cooking oil (up to 350 degrees), as a nutritious substitute in baking, as a “better-than-butter” replacement on bread, vegetables, or popcorn, and as a luscious oil for skin care, hair care, and massage.” Love that word “luscious.” Conjures up great images. Oh, and for a fraction of the price at this site.

The label also suggests, “Chop up a variety of vegetables. . . . Place these in a metal or bamboo steamer and add some dried herbs. Steam the vegetables till they’re done and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt and add a few tablespoons of Nutiva Coconut Oil . . . (delicious and rich in protein and Omega-3) Serve and enjoy!” Don’t forget to use the Nutiva. I’m sure it won’t taste the same otherwise! LOL


3 comments:

Ice Cream said...

So, what is the cod liver oil for?

3 for school said...

Cod liver oil has iodine in it which our bodies require for full health. I've been told that iodine is now being regulated more closely because it is used for meth making, but cod liver oil must not be useful for that. I have noticed that my dog loves the stuff, and his coat gets much softer and sheds less when he gets a teaspoonful of the stuff. With all the sickness swirling around, I've been feeding my kids about a teaspoon every night. Their bodies seem to use it better when they are asleep.

3 for school said...

My mother told me that her mother (my grandmother) used to make her eat a tablespoonful of cod liver oil every night in the winter so she would stay healthy. So far, it's working for us!