Thursday, February 21, 2008

Is there only one right way?

I just made cinnamon breadsticks today. They sounded yummy and my kids were thrilled with the accompanying hot chocolate! While I was making them, the sun broke out of the clouds. Woot! That wasn't in the forecast, but I'll take it!



I love to bake bread. Nothing spells comfort food to me like homemade, hot bread. The best part about bread though is that you can't really ruin it. It might turn out differently at times, but unless it is irreparably burned, it will work out. (I have burned it to a brick and found that the center was still tender and good.) I've even forgotten to add the yeast and kneaded it in at the last minute, and it still worked! I also love to bake different kinds of breads, including everything from sweet breads to 100% whole wheat bread. I have used hundreds of recipes over the years, and most were approved by my family.

In the last 2 weeks, I have heard a lot of comments like the one I got yesterday regarding another family who was thinking about homeschooling. The well-meaning woman said, "Well, I hope the state has something in place to make sure they do it right." Interesting thought, that. I couldn't help the thought that ran through my mind: "Do you mean the way Missouri does it, or Kentucky, or maybe Washington or California (her home states)? Perhaps you mean the free Mexican (from Mexico) curriculum Oregon is using for U.S. History or the history books that have been rewritten to eliminate references to deity?"

Back to my bread: there is no one recipe that everyone likes all of the time, but they all work. They all accomplish the same goal of making bread or tossed out if they don't. Just because one recipe works does not mean everyone should do it that way. That would be boring!

So why is it that some public school parents and teachers (and as Mrs. Darling tactfully pointed out, homeschoolers too) are so positive that their way is the only way to educate children? Especially when it is so doggoned hard to throw out that which is not working like I have sometimes done with bread dough and curriculum? Or is it that we all need to feel validated by others doing as we do? Wouldn't it be ever so much better if we could just support each other even if we would do it differently?

4 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

You ask why public school parents and teachers feel like its their way or no way. The question could be asked why are some homeschoolers so postive their way is the only way.

Its all matter of finding out what works. I think the public institution feels they're right because they have all the research behind them and all the teachers with degrees. And they are right for some kids. They're just not right for all kids. But then I dont feel like homeschooling is right for all kids either or rather I should say its not right for all parents. I think the kid would thrive at home but if that child has an angry mother or a mother resentful of the burden put on her than that child will thrive better at public school.

In my opinion there is no right or wrong way to school.

3 for school said...

You know, I was just looking at that post again and realizing the same thing. It isn't just ps folks that get so militant. Sometimes it's homeschoolers. And sometimes it's the expectation that the other is criticizing that creates the confrontation. I think it's important to support each other's efforts rather than knock each other down.

Thank you for your insight.

Mrs. Darling said...

You know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of the whole debate between working moms and stay at home moms. Which is right. I have a far greater feeling about that though than I do the homeschool versus private school thing and I bet you can guess which side of that mom debate Im on! LOL

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I agree with Mrs. Darling about the Mommy Wars. I think when we as women figure out that we are good enough being who we are, doing what we are doing we will stop comparing & competing.

The cinnamon bread sticks sound so good!